Friday, October 5, 2007

rss via bloglines et al .....

So, bloglines. I've added multiple feeds, blogs, news items, a podcast, and created my public url thingy at rujaly

Have to admit, not sure what this public url is for - I gather it is for others to see my bloglines? I guess so, but ...?? Isn't bloglines for me, to make my life easier? Who would want to look at other's bloglines when they might be having enough trouble keeping up with their own. OK, I guess I might learn about other good sites/blogs/feeds/ete from someone else, but I'm still to be convinced.

OK, here's the answer, from The Things:

"Why have a public account? To share blog rolls with others, of course. That's how the L2 participants list is updated; it's powered through a public blogroll. :)"

hmmmm! I just found some people had similar thoughts to me, so I posted on The Things, in reply to this comment:

I use Firefox at home and have a variety of feeds there. I like that because it reminds me that I have them while I have to remember to go to Blogline.

My reply was:
"I agree - in fact, I was just investigating how I might be able to incorporate bloglines into MY blog, or on my igoogle page. At the moment, I also use firefox and googlereader feeds and find these very straightforward. Bloglines is a little complicated to set up and there are a few things that are not very well explained.
Bloglines is a good idea - but it is really just another site to have to remember to visit."

RSS is very useful of course. I've added to my igoogle page before, plus to firefox as well. I'll say it again, I wish that bloglines could be incorporated into my favourite places because it's just another page to visit. I will keep looking.

I think bloglines layout is a little dated and don't really like the colours. (Gee, there's no pleasing me today is there!) But it is a useful one stop shop for all the feeds you could dream of - how many are too many, begs the question. When am I ever going to read all of this?

Of course it has great applications for both work and my personal interests, keeping easy tabs on what's new. We are using RSS already on our homepage for new books in the Library and I receive that feed in igoogle. So yes it's a good thing.

No comments: